endurance [en-doo r-uh ns, -dyoo r-] noun
1. the fact or power of enduring or bearing pain, hardships, etc.
2. the ability or strength to continue or last, especially despite fatigue, stress, or other adverse conditions; stamina:
My intention is to empower and coach “endurance athletes.” Apparently there are people who are intimidated by the word “endurance” because they believe that they could “never be an endurance athlete!”
“Endurance” is in the eyes of the beholder!
If you consider the definition of endurance as seen above, then any event, workout or race we do that is hard, creates fatigue or requires that we endure some pain is an “endurance” event. I think that means if walking the stairs at Red Rocks, running a 5K, doing a boot camp class or riding your bike up Squaw Pass creates fatigue and forces you to endure pain then you must be an “endurance” athlete, right?
I know athletes who don’t suffer any pain or fatigue until they hit mile 25 in a trail race or until they have climbed 5,000 feet of elevation on their bike. I also know athletes who get fatigued from a brisk walk around a lake or a 20-mile bike ride on the Platte River Trail. Both efforts can be considered endurance efforts, right? Over the years I’ve met dozens of people who are endurance athletes and don’t even know it. In fact, I have a friend who did the hardest Ride the Rockies course EVER in 2014 and she doesn’t consider herself an endurance athlete! Really? If you decide you want to try something you have never done before and it requires hard work and discipline and it creates pain and fatigue, then you need to look in the mirror and tell yourself I AM AN ENDURANCE ATHLETE!
Is “Endurance your thing?” 6 things to watch for (not to be afraid of!)
- You spend an inordinate amount of time browsing the internet looking for cool, fun, crazy events to try.
- You tell a friend “Yes, I will try that” before you have any idea what the event is really about.
- You start to consider how you can fit ONE MORE THING (training time for a particular event) into your already packed life.
- You are tired, sore and a little grumpy and SO HAPPY!
- You watch Youtube videos of other crazy people doing fun things like the Muddy Buddy, Warrior Dash and Spartan Run (just to name a few)! You think they look really cool and you are secretly wondering what it feels like to get electrocuted in the mud!
- And finally, the day comes when you find yourself telling your friends and family you can’t join them for a beer, lunch or a day at the park because you have to do your workout. (Call me because this happens to me all the time!)
Endurance is just a word that means you can take it! You define what endurance means to you! Find your “bad ass” and have fun doing it! I can help you with any endurance event so don’t be shy or afraid…GO FOR IT!